Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The perfect storm

Amazing how three major things at work can all fuck up at the exact moment...

1. My morning started with my internet going down. I called my provider, those bastards tell me they can have me back online...in 48 hours. Yeah, I work from home. I'm then informed that if I run a business from my house, that I'm supposed to have BUSINESS internet...not personal internet. I don't own a business, I don't run a business from my home....I telecommute. Hell, I didn't even know I could GET business internet until today. Apparently biz internet has a 4-hour service turnaround....it's also more than double what I currently pay. Annoying.

2. The internet going down wouldn't normally be a big deal. But oh wait...I dropped my laptop off at the repair shop 2 days ago. For the first time in 2.5 years I am not mobile, and my internet goes on the fritz...seriously.

3. This is the first time in 2 months that I've had a crisis client going on at work. I had a 150 page report due out at 8am. Yeah...didn't make my deadline.

And of course all this is the perfect time to go wrong considering the economy is in the shitter and I'm absolutely convinced that my company's going to start layoffs at any moment. Sweet...look at me being late with deadlines....

All that leads me up to Sunday. That's my first IVF appointment for this round (did I mention LAST round?). I need to be mobile for my trip...and I haven't even heard back from the computer repair jackasses.

I'm typing all this from borrowed internet (Panera) on a borrowed laptop. This is seriously sad stuff. Even sadder? I'll be here at Panera at 6:30am when they open to start tomorrow's report. woohoo.

No comments: