Monday, March 5, 2007

Name brand pills...

Injections start on March 13th (next Tuesday).

I've been on birth control for almost 3 weeks now - not a single side effect. It's like I'm one of the "normal" people who can pop pills and not pay for it for months. The difference? I'm on the name-brand pill as opposed to the generic that the pharmacy gave me last time (same stuff though). Scary, right? The generic gave me hives and huge sore boobs. The name-brand gives me nothing....kind of miss the big boobs, but definitely not worth being sore. :) I buy generic everything. I had no idea it would make a difference....

The doc showed us how to mix all the meds last week. I've got a different cocktail this time. Stronger stimulating drugs called Follistem (he wants more eggs out of me this time). And the stimulating drug is going to be mixed with a Lutenizing Hormone - Menopur- which will help to mature the eggs faster. Last time my body was supposed to make it's own LH...but it didn't produce enough and therefore some of the eggs they got out of me were no good. He said he's VERY optimistic that with the LH, I'm going to have LOTS of embryos to choose from and possibly even a few blastocysts (100+ cell beebees).

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is the injection of Follisten/Menopur. I'm told it burns 10x worse than the stuff I was on last time (Bravelle). And I can't begin to tell you how much THAT hurt. I screeched every time I had it done. But...maybe my body is now so accustomed to the abuse that it won't be so bad?

Florida stuff: I got the brochure for the hotel...looks pretty nice. J made the car rental reservations today. And I just ordered some maps through AAA. We're flying into Orlando, driving 2 hours north to St. Augustine Beach (where the hotel is)...and then the doc office is an hour north of that in Jacksonville. I'm a bit nervous that I'll have to spend so much time in the car. Last IVF, we had to drive to NOVA for Thanksgiving....oh god, it was hellish. Every vibration in the road went straight to my ovaries. And the 10 minute drive from the hospital to home after the egg harvesting was horrendous. I can't imagine an HOUR drive back to the hotel. I might just throw caution to the wind and pop a valium for that. By that time, the eggs will be out and I'm free to abuse my body for 3 good days.

In other news - Dayquil and Theraflu should NEVER under any circumstances be mixed together. I'm getting over some really bizarre cold / flu type virus. I started getting sick about a week and a half ago with a chest cold which then turned into the chills & aches and progressed into a morning of vomiting. I'm on the mend now - but last week as I was still trying to shake the symptoms, I accidentally OD'd on some OTC's (my brain was foggy....I had forgotten I had just taken the Theraflu and then downed some Dayquil). Anyway, my in-law's who are leaving in a few days to go to Turkey and Greece came into town yesterday and we met them for lunch. She asked me if I got her email about book recommendations, because I apparently responded with a really bizarre email. I had no memory whatsoever that this had taken place. I swear I thought she was making it up. So I got home last night and scanned through the Sent Items in my email.
Sure enough - there was an email from her asking for books, and my rambling reply (not even close to coherent) about IVF plane reservations and our doctor appointment (which we hadn't even been to at the time). Scary. Maybe I can pop a little Dayquil/Theraflu cocktail during IVF when I hit Ultra PMS and spend 2 days crying.

No comments: