Saturday, April 7, 2007

Eggs & The Fountain of Youth

We got to FL last night, nice flight – checked into the hotel around midnight.

Got over to the hospital this morning for my doc appointment. Doc took one look at the ultrasound and went: Whoa…we have quite a bit going on here…we’re going to need to talk about this.

Yeah…no kidding. My ovaries hurt so bad the 45-minute car ride to the hospital made me sick.

I have my last injection tonight – The Big One. The HCG intramuscular shot. Right in the rear. Woohoo. Doc says he is now not just worried about hyperstimulation…he’s telling me it’s gonna happen. The HCG will trigger that. So instead of taking the entire dosage like I did last time, he’s cutting that in half – which will hopefully diminish some of my symptoms. He tells me even with that I can expect to be in serious pain at a minimum for the next week. In his exact words: “You are going to be hating me for a while”. If I end up pregnant (the preggo hormones will exacerbate all this) I could have symptoms for up to 3 months.

I’m SO scared about what tonight’s shot is going to do to me over the next 72 hours. But I’m trying to tell myself it’s just not going to happen…my body can handle it…etc, etc, etc. I haven’t really started believing it yet.

In GOOD news…he’s estimating (and it’s a total guess of course) that we’ll have a good 10 embryos (not eggs…but 8-cell+ embryos) to choose from. So if for some reason this doesn’t work….hopefully we’ll at least have some to freeze.

Well, that’s the IVF latest…harvesting is Monday morning at 9am. Fingers crossed.

Today was great…I figure since I’ve only got today and tomorrow where I can get out of bed…I’m going to cram in everything I can.

So after our doc appointment, we had a fabulous breakfast (I was hurting from the drive, so we took a nap afterwards), then we took a long walk on the beach onto a pier….it was beautiful. THEN…we just got back into the car and drove into St. Augustine (the oldest city in the U.S.) and went to The Fountain of Youth. Seriously…it was a fountain…we drank the water. It was awesome. The setting was an old Spanish garden – there were peacocks walking around everywhere. Gorgeous. Statues, monuments. After that we went out for a quick dinner – back to the hotel for another rest.

Then we hopped in the hot tub. Oh my god, the hot tub was exactly what my poor ovaries needed. In fact it’s been an hour and I am still feeling pretty good. I’ll be doing THAT again. Serious therapy.

Our hotel room has a Jacuzzi in it…it’s weird…it’s right next to the bed. But after the harvesting if I can’t handle being in public, that’s where I’ll be.

I’m beat…more later. No shots, drugs, or doc appointments tomorrow.

No comments: