Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Drums of Autumn

I love summer. I mean LOVE it. I don’t think a single cell in my body was meant to endure winter. I hate cold, I hate when the sun sets at 5pm. It’s just not for me. Maybe it’s because I was an August baby. I don’t know. There’s just something about summer that makes me SO happy. The sun’s up early, the birds are chirping, things are growing, flowers are blooming. Campfires, playing in the creek with the dog, sitting in a rocking chair with a glass of wine, lightning bugs at dusk, the smell of sweet grass as you’re driving down the road with the windows open. Mmm…I love summer.

The most depressing part of the year for me is fall. Don’t get me wrong – I like fall. The leaves turn, the air is the slightest bit crisp – no humidity, you can sleep with your windows open, great new wardrobes hit the stores. Fall’s great…I’ve got nothing against fall. But it means winter is knocking on the door. And I hate winter.

So I walked into Wal-Mart yesterday and guess what they had? Mums. Potted stupid chrysanthemums. A fall flower. A reminder that summer won’t stick around forever and very soon I will find myself in the doctor’s office again. Instant anxiety. Shit, shit, shit.

I found myself driving home having a crying fit. Over MUMS. Seriously.

No comments: