Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Series of Ridiculous Events

Well, my trigger was last night. It didn't exactly go smoothly. So here's a story for you:

As I have mention - holy hell I am exhausted. I'm getting by on hours a night, I'm in early morning doc appointments, I'm working, I'm sitting in traffic, I'm visiting friends/fam. I am tired. I am dragging. And I am not drinking caffeine (well, since last week anyway).

So, last night all my aunts, uncles, cousins came over to my grandparent's house (where I'm staying) and we had a cookout. Normally I would be right in the mix of things - hanging out and catching up. Instead - I snuck off for a nap. And when I woke up I felt so tired I thought I'd be sick. But - I powered through...chugged down some lime water and a veggie burger and even managed to open my eyes for about an hour.

Everybody left around 8:30 and J and I headed up to bed around 10. We had considered staying away until my trigger at 12:45, but instead thought it would be smarter to get a few hours sleep, then wake up for my injection. We set the alarm for 12:30 and hit the hay. Then I got paranoid about the alarm not going off. So in addition to the clock, I set the alarm on my cell phone and had J set the alarm on his phone.

Three alarms are set for 12:30. I have no idea what happened, but my phone and my alarm did not go off. J's phone went off - but at 1:15am. How in the world that happened, neither of us can figure. All I remember is being dead asleep and hearing J yell "Holy shit! Get up! Get up! We're late for your shot!"

So we jump up - turn on the light. I'm shaking because I'm so upset. I'm almost in tears. J's half hysterical and yelling at me to mix the Novarel. I practically broke off the needle in the bottle trying to get it ready. I was a mess.

I get the injection ready and ask J how he wants to do this - me standing up, or me laying on my stomach. Of course I'm laying on my stomach when I ask him this and I've got the target-zone in plain view - ass out ready to go. I turn towards him to ask if this position is ok - I'm half asleep and my arm swings out and I clock him in the face. Hard. I mean Chuck Norris karate chop to the temple hard. J jumps up (still weilding the needle) grabbing his head - never before heard cuss words spewing from his mouth. Really, he's quite creative. He's also now mad as a bee.

I've just clocked my husband in the head and he has yet to give me this injection. Not my best move.

As I mentioned - I've got the shocked-out-of-a-deep-sleep-shakes, and a mad husband with an intramuscular needle coming my way. Ow. And between the two of our twitchy selves, he must've hit a blood veseel or something...I now have blood running down me. It swelled almost instantly and within 5 minutes I had a bruise.

But the shot is done. It's now 35 minutes late, but it's done.

Now it's my job to go back to sleep. But all I can think about is - at our last clinic - if you were more than 5 minutes late with the HcG, they would push back your harvesting. There was no give. So I'm now a mess thinking that despite the shot...this cycle's going to be canceled because of our technical difficulties. I think I fell asleep around 4am. And of course we were up at 6 and out the door for this morning's appointment.

Today's ultrasound: Follicle is at 21mm. I'm told around 23-24mm is when you ovulate. So it looks like I'm perfectly on schedule. I've had a dull ache in my abdomen all day. My fingers are triple crossed that I don't ovulate before my harvesting tomorrow. Right now it's my only fear.

I feel so, so good about this cycle though. I really feel like this will work. I just have to get through tomorrow. Once that egg's in the lab, I'm going to be feeling really confident (I hope not foolishly).

Last night during the cookout, my uncle told me he had a dream a few nights ago. I was pregnant. And I was smoking. He quit tobacco last week, so hopefully that's where the smoking came from (HA! Me? Smoking? And while pregnant? Right....). So I'm just going to focus on the fact that he dreamed I was pregnant. And the only reason I'm getting the slightest bit excited about that (and don't judge my craziness), is that he's know for this weird link with...I don't know...something. He's had dreams that came true (told people beforehand), he has the incredibly uncanny ability to attract wild animals. Literally - squirrels come up to him and allow him to pet them, a deer even adopted him one summer. It's bizarre. So...I'm going with my uncle's premonition. I'm getting pregnant. Um...however, I won't be smoking.

Alright - early day tomorrow. Harvesting is at 10:45...but I have to be there early to down some valium and antibiotics...oh and to beat a fabulous Monday morning DC traffic mess.

Wish me luck

No comments: