Thursday, May 8, 2008

Even in a world of freaks, I am still a freak...

My cousin hooked me up with a friend of hers who is starting IVF in June. We've never met, but I was excited about the prospect of an infertile friend. They're hard to come by in my circle.

We chatted on email briefly - introduced ourselves. They've been trying for 10 years (holy shit!), but this is their first time at IVF. In my email I told her that if she was nervous/had any questions about her upcoming cycle, to be sure to call me. And her response back: Oh, life goes on pretty normal whenever I'm doing treatments, they're not really a big deal for me.

Wha...??? Who ARE you?

IronMan? Skeet Ulrich?

Seriously - where are all the IVFer's that have a hard time with treatments?

I mean I think NC-IVF is a pretty good match for me. It was easy - I had no trouble with it last time and I'm excited (not scared) about the next cycle.

But I look back on the months I spent living in conventional IVF hell and think of it as a pretty dark time for me. No, that's an understatement: It was the darkest however-many-months of my life. I'd do NCIVF 100 times before I ever considered doing IVF again. It just doesn't work for me...and I'm not talking about the outcome (ok, which didn't work for me)...it's just not worth the crippling agony for me.

Maybe I'm the only freak in the room that can't handle IVF...but well...there's no buts. I guess it's a statement:

Even in a world of freaks, I am still a freak.

No comments: